A 3d File System Viewer: Building FSV on Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid"


FSV is a 3d file system viewer which reimplements FSN, memorable for its appearance in Jurassic Park. You can read about FSN here:

http://www.siliconbunny.com/fsn-the-irix-3d-file-system-tool-from-jurassic-park/

The FSV website at http://fsv.sourceforge.net/ provides the downloadable source code for FSV, and here is how to build it:



Download the package from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=31220&package_id=23252&release_id=48623, then:

cd ~/Desktop
tar xzvf fsv-0.9.tar.gz
cd fsv-0.9

I had to install a dependency of several GTK 1.x development libraries before the configure script would complete, as well as build-essential which I already had installed. There are a few dependencies that will additionally install when you run this:

sudo aptitude install libgtk1.2-dev gtkglarea5-dev build-essential

Now you can configure, make and install:

./configure
make
sudo make install

The application will be found in /usr/local/bin/fsv, you can run it with 'fsv' at the command prompt now. FSV will default to the current directory as its root but allows you to change root with File > Change Root... (or hit Ctrl-N). As a nifty bonus, you get all kinds of stats on the number and disk usage of files in the visible root.

I did get it to segfault when clicking on a large jpg file, but overall it is very stable and usable for a 9 year old program! Kudos to its author Daniel Richard G. aka "skunk".

4 comments:

  1. I tried this, and when I did configure I got the errors:
    checking for glBegin in -lMesaGL... no
    checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
    configure: error: You need GL or MesaGL libraries

    I know it's not your job to tell me how to make sure I've got OpenGL installed properly, of course. Looks cool, thanks for getting it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are sure, you have GL installed you can remove the "exit 1;" on line 4217 in the configure-file.
    thoto

    ReplyDelete
  3. For anyone with the same problem, try this, although I'm not 100% sure it will fix it, since apparently I already had whatever dependency installed - and I'm not running 8.10 anymore:

    sudo apt-get install libxmu-dev libxmu6

    ReplyDelete
  4. does this still work on ubuntu 11.10?

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!